In an era where first-person, jumpscare based horror games are the norm, Song of Horror brings back the atmosphere of classic horror games like Alone in the Dark, Resident Evil and Silent Hill. While the settings may seem familiar, what players won’t expect is the unfathomable entity known as The Presence, who adapts and reacts to the way they play.
Lose against this unpredictable adversary, and the character will die permanently. As fans progress through each new episode, the tension to lose more characters increases, creating an unbearable atmosphere that never dissipates.
The fourth (and biggest) episode of Song of Horror, The Last Concert, continues its nostalgic journey through the classics of the genre. This time, it takes inspiration from Frictional Games’ celebrated modern horror adventure Amnesia: The Dark Descent, bringing players to the most haunted area of the game: St. Cecilia’s Abbey. How many characters will survive this holy place, now tainted by the influence of The Presence?
The launch of Episode 4 comes off the back of an amazing reaction to Episode 3: Song of Horror currently boasts a 92% positive review score after the last episode launched, backed up by awards, accolades and some amazing comments from the community.
The intricate design of St. Cecilia’s Abbey, made by real architects, immerse players in a chapter that takes more than 8 hours to finish – for context, three times bigger than the main location of the first episode. In this part of the story, you will:
- Discover what happened to the monks of the macabre St. Cecilia’s Abbey after interpreting the cursed song while you face the diverse manifestations of The Presence, now more powerful than ever!
- Experience a whole new narrative structure: Explore St Cecilia’s Abbey from different starting points depending on which character you choose. Unlock new areas to help other investigators if you happen to fall prey to The Presence.
- Experience more than 8 hours of exploration-based play in the biggest episode to date.
- Say hello to another new character: Meet Ernest Finnegan, a renowned archaeologist past his glory days and a dear friend of Husher. After finding out how dangerous the Abbey is, and haunted by his own guilt for leaving Husher alone, he is now looking to help his close acquaintance to survive his current predicament.
- Returning characters will join the adventure depending on who you played with and who survived in previous chapters!
“We’re in the final stretch, and Episode 4 ramps the tension up somewhat – just as you might expect,” offers Carlos Grupeli, founder of Protocol Games, the studio behind Song of Horror. “It’s an emotional time for the studio. After two cracks at Kickstarter and a fair few more humps in the road along the way, everything is coming together. There’s still so much more to come, too. We have the fifth and final episode coming in just a couple of months, and then PlayStation 4 and Xbox One gamers can take on the entire game in one run when it hits console later in the year. It’s going to be a big year.”
In Song of Horror, you will:
- Investigate a paranormal mystery wrapped up in a story of psychological horror.
- Tangle with The Presence, an otherworldly entity with its own adaptive A.I. that reacts to your actions and decisions to deliver an unscripted, unpredictable slice of horror.
- Choose between a group of unique characters, each one bringing their own point of view to play with a different relationship with both the story and other characters.
- When characters die, they die for good, but the horror continues…
- …with the investigation picked up by a new character, tackling the story from a unique perspective, but one affected by their predecessor’s actions.
- Explore haunted, sinister locations to gather clues to piece together the mystery behind the missing Sebastian P. Husher.
The first episode of Song of Horror can be picked up on Steam today for $7.99/€7.99/£6.99, while the second and third and fourth can either be purchased individually for $7.99/€7.99/£6.99, or as part of the Season Pass that will also unlock the final episode at launch for $21.99/€21.99/£18.99.