French independent developer, Tactical Adventures, announced today that Wizards of the Coast has granted them a license to use the Dungeons & Dragons SRD 5.1 content and rules in their upcoming tactical role-playing video game Solasta: Crown of the Magister. Tactical Adventures released a completely free, one-hour pre-alpha demo of Solasta: Crown of the Magister on Steam earlier this month. In addition to the free demo a crowdfunding campaign on Kickstarter has seen the support from over 4,300 backers, and more than $190,000 pledged out of the $200,000 goal with nine days left in the campaign.
Critical Role, the smash hit show featuring popular voice actors playing Dungeons & Dragons, recently featured a gameplay session of Solasta: Crown of the Magister’s free demo.
Watch the Solasta: Crown of the Magister Kickstarter launch trailer:
“We are absolutely thrilled at the response Solasta has been receiving. On top of it, garnering the license from Wizards of the Coast is a big step forward for the game,” said Mathieu Girard, founder of Tactical Adventures and Creative Director of the game. “We are excited to fully embrace the SRD5 rules, and the license opens up many more creative opportunities to build Solasta as our fans expect.”
The dynamic and mysterious world of Solasta features elements of verticality, allowing players to use their surroundings as an element of strategy. Players can position ranged characters on high vantage points or send their thief down into shafts and caverns to scope out what’s ahead. In Solasta, light is a tool to explore the depths and hollows of dungeons or can be used as a weapon against the creatures of the dark, but if not careful, it can also give away the party’s position. Solasta is a unique team-based adventure where each character plays a critical role in the campaign and can be a hero. Players must take advantage of each character’s strengths and weaknesses if they are to succeed.
Solasta: Crown of the Magister Features:
- Verticality: Solasta is a three-dimensional world, rather than a series of flat maps. Locations can be explored by climbing walls, flying, teleporting, crawling through tunnels, finding secret passages, or falling through unstable ground, allowing the player to use the environment to take on encounters in multiple different ways.
- Team Based Adventure: Players will have many options to choose races, classes, backgrounds, and can even roll for stats as they create their party. All members are essential – together you will adventure through Solasta as a group, where you must work together in pursuit of your quest.
- Tactical CRPG: Each encounter can be handled in multiple ways. Will you use the high ground to strike your enemies from above as a Darkweaver Rogue, or shove your enemies into deep chasms as a Mountaineer Fighter? Your choices alone will determine the destiny of your party.
- Light: Light will not only help to see your surroundings as you explore deep underground or in a dungeon. It can also be used as a weapon against the light-fearing creatures you will encounter along your journey. Careful, though – light can also give away your position.
- Created by Tabletop Players: Tactical Adventures is a team of highly experienced Tabletop players and veteran game developers who are passionate about the genre, striving to create the best Tactical RPG videogame
- Kickstarter: Tactical Adventures is giving players the opportunity to be heard by joining the community and backing Solasta on Kickstarter. The campaign features an amazing tiered reward system and a free hour pre-alpha demo available to everyone.
Solasta: Crown of the Magister is now available to back on Kickstarter with a free demo available to play on Steam.