With two days left in its Kickstarter campaign, Frostpunk: The Board Game – a physical adaptation of the best selling survival city-builder on PC and consoles – has been a huge success. Reaching the €1.8 million stretch goal means that players will be able to use a unique companion app that allows them to share play sessions with distant friends.
In Frostpunk: The Board Game, players will take on the roles of Social, Health, Generator, and Resource Advisors; leaders of the colony settled around the warmth-giving generator. Thanks to the app, every group of up to four players will be able to connect with another group of players that rule a similar settlement next to theirs as neighbors in those hard, demanding times.
After exchanging unique codes, the player-created virtual settlements will share market space with all types of resources to trade. Trades are not only driven by ever-changing market demands and price fluctuations, but also build relationships and dependencies between settlements.
“We believe the app will be a breath of fresh air for the tabletop community and could revolutionize the way we approach playing board games. Tabletop games that aim for solo gameplay will benefit from a never-seen-before shared experience.” Jakub Wiśniewski, CEO of Glass Cannon Unplugged.
The Frostpunk: The Board Game Kickstarter campaign that began on October 6th with a €200,000 goal currently sits at more than €1,800,000 (about $2,123,000 USD). It is climbing steadily toward being 1000% funded with €2,000,000 within reach. The campaign was fully funded in 54 minutes and reached the first million in three days.
The tabletop adaptation of Frostpunk is coming to fruition thanks to the combined efforts of 11 bit studios and Glass Cannon Unplugged, a new tabletop game studio formed by a group of industry veterans: Jakub Wiśniewski, creator of the highly acclaimed This War of Mine: The Board Game and Michał Ozon, former COO of board game publisher Phalanx, both accompanied by an independent author Adam Kwapiński, a world-class board game designer who has worked on titles such as Nemesis and Lords of Hellas.
The Frostpunk: The Board Game Kickstarter campaign will end on Thursday, October 29th at 3 AM CET / 7 PM PT / 10 PM ET. You can still back it here:
Frostpunk: The Board Game key features:
- Different player roles ease the learning curve which allows newcomers to enjoy the game.
- Innovative heating and generator cube tower mechanics with a custom-designed system of cube-catching and risk management.
- A worker-placement mechanic where meeples get sick and hungry and have ethics and social demands!
- Narrative-driven Dusk card mechanics steer the society using Law and Technology and bear the consequences of in-game decisions.
- A fascinating mix of snow-apocalypse and steampunk worlds to be discovered through expeditions deep into the Frostland.
- A companion app that allows for cooperative play between distant players.