Mojang Studios is releasing a free Sustainability City map that invites players to explore how some of the goals and themes in Microsoft’s 2020 Environmental Sustainability Report come to life in the Minecraft world.
Tell me more about this free map! The Sustainability City map will be available as a free download beginning Thursday, Jan. 28 at 9 a.m. PT in the Minecraft Marketplace “Education Collection” as well as within Minecraft: Education Edition, where educators can access six new lessons designed to give students a sense of stewardship for the planet, from responsible forestry to waste management, learning about the components of a sustainable home, exploring alternative electricity, and more.
Six lesson plans are available for download at the Minecraft: Education Edition Blog as companion pieces to the Sustainability City map:
- Sustainable Food Production. Explore sustainable practices for every step of food production by visiting a farm, grocery store, waste facility, and recycling plant.
- Outflow Order. Learn about water outflow and treatment to understand how biosolids contribute to fertilizer and how treated water returns to their homes.
- Wasted to Wanted. Check out a landfill, and learn which materials are recyclable and what happens to materials that aren’t reused.
- Dependable Forests. Better understand the social, economic, and environmental impacts of responsible forestry.
- Sustainable Home. Visit a home built with sustainable materials to learn how to live more energy-efficiently.
- Alternative Energy. Make a trip to a hydropower plant to learn about power lines and wind power through turbines.
As part of its mission to build a better world through the power of play, Minecraft has a long history of supporting global environmental initiatives with partners including The Nature Conservancy and World Wildlife Fund. More than 100 million people play Minecraft every month and more than 35 million students and educators in 115 countries are licensed to use Minecraft: Education Edition in the classroom.
How can I get started? Minecraft’s Sustainability City map will be available for free beginning Thursday, Jan. 28 at 9 a.m. PT via the Minecraft Marketplace “Education Collection” and Minecraft: Education Edition. Six lesson plans supporting the Sustainable City map can be downloaded at Minecraft: Education Edition Blog.