Today, Whitethorn Games, a publisher known for its inclusive and accessible games, took part in the inaugural Access-Ability Summer Showcase. The event, hosted by Laura Kate Dale and sponsored by I Need Diverse Games, aimed to highlight video games created by disabled developers and those that prioritize accessibility for disabled gamers. During the showcase, Whitethorn Games unveiled detailed explanations of the accessibility features in their upcoming and existing titles, including Botany Manor, Mythwrecked: Ambrosia Island, and Princess Farmer.
Botany Manor and Mythwrecked: Ambrosia Island were the center of attention as Whitethorn Games’ Chief Accessibility Officer, Britt Dye, revealed some of the exciting accessibility options for these highly anticipated titles. With accessibility at the forefront of their development process, both games offer a range of features to ensure a relaxing and inclusive gaming experience for all players.
Let’s delve into the accessibility features showcased during the Access-Ability Summer Showcase:
- Field of View Slider: Customize the point-of-focus experience.
- Camera X/Y Inversion: Invert the camera controls according to preference.
- Camera Smoothing and Motion Sensitivity Sliders: Alleviate motion sickness with adjustable settings.
- Plain Text Overlay: Enhance visual clarity with plain text overlay for all in-game text.
- Toggle/Hold Option for “Look Around” View: View surroundings while standing still.
- Single-Button Sprint Toggle: Activate or deactivate sprinting with a single button press.
- Single Stick Mode: Play the game with one hand using this mode.
- No Time Limit: Explore and solve puzzles at your own pace.
Botany Manor is set to release on PC via Steam, Nintendo Switch™, and Xbox One and Series S|X.
Mythwrecked: Ambrosia Island
- High-Contrast Text/Backgrounds: Text presented in a readable sans-serif font by default, with high-contrast options.
- Dark and Light Mode Text Display Options: Choose between dark and light mode text displays.
- Dialogue Scrolling Options: Adjust the dialogue scrolling speed or choose no scrolling or auto-play.
- Visual, Audio, and Haptic Feedback: Get feedback while solving puzzles and exploring the game world.
- Dynamic Tracking Camera: Enjoy an adaptive camera that provides the best view.
- Sprint Toggle: Activate or deactivate sprinting during gameplay.
- Full Key Remapping: Customize all the key bindings to suit individual preferences.
- Haptics Toggle: Enable or disable haptic feedback.
- Non-Dialogue Captions: Captions for ambient and environmental sound effects.
Mythwrecked: Ambrosia Island will be available on PC via Steam and consoles.
Princess Farmer, a match-3 visual novel developed by Samobee Games, also had its moment in the showcase. The game was designed from the ground up with diverse representation and accessibility in mind. Its creator, after suffering a hand injury, aimed to develop a game that could be easily played with one hand.
The accessibility features in Princess Farmer include:
- One-Handed Gameplay: Play with one hand using controllers or keyboards.
- Game Modes: Accommodate different play styles and preferences.
- Non-Gated Story Advancement: Progress through the story without encountering gates or barriers.
- Skippable Dialog and Interactions: Option to skip dialogues and interactions.
- Button Mapping Options: Customize button mappings for controllers, keypads, and mobile devices.
- Haptic Feedback: Enhance the sensory experience with haptic feedback.
- Separate Audio Channels: Enjoy separate audio channels for music and in-game alerts.
- High-Contrast Text and Font Control: Customize text color and font for increased visual clarity.
- High-Contrast Colors and Shapes: Match-3 elements are designed with high-contrast colors and shapes for easier identification.
- No Screen Shake: Avoid discomfort caused by screen shaking effects.
- Optional Match Flashing: Choose to enable or disable visual effects for matching elements.
Princess Farmer is available on various platforms, including PC (Steam, Epic Games Store, GX.games), Nintendo Switch, Xbox One and Series S|X, PlayStation 4 and 5, as well as mobile platforms via Google Play and the Apple Store.
Whitethorn Games’ participation in the Access-Ability Summer Showcase showcased their commitment to accessibility and inclusivity in gaming. By providing a wide range of accessibility options, they ensure that disabled gamers can fully engage in the worlds of Botany Manor, Mythwrecked: Ambrosia Island, and Princess Farmer.
Through their upcoming releases, Whitethorn Games continues to set an example for the industry, pushing the boundaries of inclusivity and accessibility. Players can look forward to immersive gaming experiences tailored to their individual needs, where everyone can enjoy the wonders of gaming without encountering unnecessary barriers.
The Access-Ability Summer Showcase was a testament to the efforts being made to create a more inclusive gaming landscape. By highlighting games developed by disabled creators and emphasizing accessibility features, the showcase aimed to raise awareness and foster a more diverse and welcoming gaming community.
Whitethorn Games’ dedication to accessibility serves as an inspiration for both players and developers alike. As the gaming industry progresses, it is crucial to prioritize accessibility options, ensuring that gaming truly becomes an inclusive and enjoyable experience for everyone, regardless of their abilities.
The Access-Ability Summer Showcase has not only shed light on the accessibility features of Botany Manor, Mythwrecked: Ambrosia Island, and Princess Farmer but has also paved the way for future advancements in accessible gaming. With each showcase, the gaming community takes another step forward in creating a more inclusive and diverse industry that can be enjoyed by all.