Riot Games has officially kicked off their multi-game summer blockbuster event Sentinels of Light. This event includes new experiences and content in League of Legends, League of Legends: Wild Rift, Legends of Runeterra, Teamfight Tactics, and VALORANT, allowing players to get in on the action from any of their favorite Riot games.
The event also marks the first time ever that a new champion will be released in four Riot games at once, as Akshan the Rogue Sentinel joins League of Legends, Wild Rift, Teamfight Tactics, and Legends of Runeterra during the same event!
Sentinels of Light starts today and includes new experiences in League of Legends, League of Legends: Wild Rift, Legends of Runeterra, Teamfight Tactics, and VALORANT
Building on the success of 2020’s Spirit Blossom, each of Riot’s five games (League of Legends, League of Legends: Wild Rift, Legends of Runeterra, Teamfight Tactics, and VALORANT) will offer thematically-linked experiences so every Riot fan can join in, regardless of which game they play. Sentinels of Light continues Riot’s first multi-month story arc that started in January with Viego’s return in the “Ruination” cinematic.
The event also features opportunities for players around the world to make an impact in their local communities through the Riot Games Social Impact Fund, whose last fundraiser with Elderwood Ornn raised over $7 million.
Akshan joins four League-universe games
Akshan, the Rogue Sentinel, is the first champion to be released across all League-universe games during the same event! He swings into the fight against Viego with a sacred relic weapon, exacting vengeance on enemies and redeeming fallen allies. Akshan releases on the following dates (PT):
- Legends of Runeterra on July 14th, 2021
- Teamfight Tactics on July 21st, 2021
- League of Legends on July 22nd, 2021 (including a Cyber Pop Akshan skin)
- League of Legends: Wild Rift on July 27th, 2021 (including a Battle Academia Akshan skin)
League of Legends (July 8th – August 10th, 2021):
- An in-client story experience, “Rise of the Sentinels”, gives players a way to experience League’s story through the eyes of a rookie member of the Sentinels as lasting change comes to the world of Runeterra.
- 11 new, in-canon skins showcase champions as they appear in Rise of the Sentinels.
- An event-exclusive Ascended Pantheon Prestige Edition skin depicts an alternate timeline where the human spirit inside Pantheon overcomes Ruination.
- Ultimate Spellbook, League’s first new event game mode since 2018, releases during Sentinels of Light! Each player gains a second champion’s Ultimate ability to use throughout the game in addition to their own.
League of Legends: Wild Rift (July 8th – August 10th, 2021):
- Sentinels of Light is Wild Rift’s most ambitious event so far, featuring an in-game narrative experience where players can meet and bond with our heroes: Lucian, Senna, Riven, Irelia, Vayne, and Akshan.
- Throughout the Wild Rift ecosystem, players can learn more and get involved in the overall story:
- Sentinels of Light: Steadfast Heart, a series of comics featuring the Sentinels of Light will be released throughout the event, available to read every week in the Wild Rift app or on universe.leagueoflegends.com.
- A unique AR experience invites players to explore a Sentinel Outpost and take the Oath of Light to become Sentinels themselves, available online now.
- A host of new in-game canon content will be released throughout July and August, including Lucian and Senna today, Akshan on July 27, and upcoming new skins.
Legends of Runeterra (July 14th – Aug 10th, 2021):
- LoR’s second Champion Expansion:
- In the vein of the Aphelios Champion Expansion released in February, a mini-expansion featuring Viego & Akshan, along with 21 other new collectible cards featuring followers, spells, and landmarks focused around the Ruination and the Sentinels of Light.
- “Declare Your Allegiance” Event Pass:
- Players will choose between either the Ruined or Sentinels Event Pass, earning thematic rewards for their side based on who they ally with.
- A non-canon metagame event will also track how much support each side has. At the end of the Sentinels of Light event, all participating players will receive an in-game reward based on the winning side (regardless of which one they allied with).
- New personalization items:
- LoR’s Sentinels of Light event launches with a Sentinels HQ-themed Board, as well as Ruined & Sentinels Guardians, Card Backs, Emotes, and 7 new in-canon champion skins.
Teamfight Tactics (July 21st, 2021):
Join the forces of Order and continue the fight against Chaos Pengu in Teamfight Tactics Reckoning: Dawn of Heroes to kick the Black Mist out of the Convergence once and for all. The Teamfight Tactics Reckoning mid-set update will include:
- Radiant Items and all-new blessings replace Shadow Items
- New Champions, Origins, and Classes, including the Sentinels Origin and Akshan
- A New Set Pass complete with Arenas, Booms, High Order Pengu, and more.
During the event, VALORANT players will have a chance to purchase two themed weapon skin bundles, Ruination, and Sentinels, at different times in July. In-game maps will tease/promote the event with themed billboards and VALORANT influencers will bring back “flat lays” for both skins.
Riot Games Social Impact Fund
Throughout the Sentinels of Light event, players will have multiple ways to support local nonprofits and their communities in partnership with the Riot Games Social Impact Fund. Riot is committing $1 million to the Riot Games Social Impact Fund and inviting players to nominate a nonprofit or cause area for grant funding, purchase charity bundles in League of Legends, and raise additional money for charity by completing in-game challenges in Legends of Runeterra, League of Legends: Wild Rift and Teamfight Tactics.