Hopoo Games and Gearbox Publishing today released the first content update for Risk of Rain 2 called the Scorched Acres. The Scorched Acres Update brings content completely new to the Risk of Rain universe free for all owners of Risk of Rain 2 on Steam Early Access including a new stage, Survivor and boss along with more items, equipment and quality of life changes based on feedback from the community. Players can assume control of a new Survivor, REX, a symbiotic life form between plant and robot who deals big damage through the cost of its health.
A breakdown of REX’s abilities and new game content are below:
- Passive: Abilities apply WEAKEN, a debuff which reduces enemy armor, movement speed and damage.
- Primary Fire: Fires three syringes in quick succession. The third syringe applies WEAKEN and heals REX.
- Secondary Fire: REX sacrifices its own health to launch a seedpod mortar. Aims at a distant location and lands after a brief delay for huge damage.
- Mobility: Launches REX backward and shoves all nearby enemies away and applies WEAKEN to them.
- Ultimate: REX sacrifices its own health to fire a flower that PULLS all nearby enemies and ROOTS them.
New Game Features:
- New Boss – The Grovetender: The Grovetender is a hook-throwing caretaker of wisps found only in its home of Scorched Acres. The Grovetender will fire a giant barrage of seeking wisps that detonate on contact and occasionally fire a burst of hooks from its masks that pull in any survivor it hits. And yes, there is a new song to welcome in this terrifying new boss.
- New Stage – Scorched Acres: Scorched Acres takes place at sunset in a mysterious installation in the woods, filled with smog from the surrounding nearby fires. As the new alternate third stage to the snow map Rallypoint Delta, Scorched Acres houses a new monster called the Clay Templar and the new boss, the Grovetender.
- New Enemy Affix – Malachite: Malachite enemies can now spawn in later difficulties as high-tier elites. Malachite enemies possess a number of unique abilities, such as temporarily disabling player healing.
- New Items, Equipment, Drones and More: An arsenal of new items and equipment is now at players’ disposal. This includes two new drones, the Equipment Drone and the Incinerator Drone; Category Chests; six new items, such as the Old Guillotine and the Little Disciple; and three new types of equipment such as the Spinel Tonic.
- Community Suggested Changes: Quality-of-life improvements suggested by the community have been implemented. This includes the HUD now displaying the current stage count and flashing health bars when the player reaches a critical health state.
The sequel to the beloved indie hit, Risk of Rain 2 brings 3D graphics and third-person shooter mechanics to the franchise while holding true to its roguelike roots. Risk of Rain 2 is available on Steam in early access for $19.99 and slated to launch in spring 2020.