Rogue Planet Games™ today announced the launch of The Shattered Warpgate for PlanetSide 2 – a massive update to Steam’s No. 1 free-to-play MMO first-person shooter (MMOFPS). The Shattered Warpgate launches on PC today and will arrive on PlayStation 4 later this month.
The Shattered Warpgate permanently evolves the war-torn battlescapes of PlanetSide 2 through new open-world storytelling experiences called Campaigns. Each Campaign introduces major gameplay and environmental changes alongside lore-driven story missions that unfold across multiple chapters. The initial campaign, The Shattered Warpgate, returns players to the frigid tundra of the newly remastered continent of Esamir, where they must contend with the fallout from an environmental cataclysm brought on by the detonation of one of the continent’s Warpgates.
“Unlike in a traditional single-player adventure, the term ‘Campaign’ in our game alludes to the compelling military nature of PlanetSide 2,” said Michael Henderson, Lead Designer. “Our players are soldiers embattled in an endless planetary war, and each of our Campaigns will develop the story of how the war and the world around them is evolving.”
This major update also introduces additional features and gameplay improvements for PlanetSide 2:
- Esamir Revamped: The continent of Esamir has gone through a major transformation, including reworked bases and facilities, new alien flora and skybox improvements, and a deadly electrical storm roaming the battlefield.
- All-New Mission System: Players now have access to a wide range of daily mission types that can be completed for rewards. Members will receive additional daily mission unlocks.
- New Weapons & Equipment: New items like the Icepick melee weapon, Havoc Rockets, and Condensate Grenades are now available as Campaign rewards or purchasable from the in-game Depot.
- Sanctuary Changes: Social hub improvements include graphical upgrades and the addition of cross-faction text chat.
- Outfit Resource Rebalancing: War Asset costs have been overhauled to better reward and incentivize Outfits who participate in base captures.
- Indar Terrain Changes: Key locations on the continent of Indar have been reworked to improve the overall balance and combat flow on the map.
Future Campaigns will also be accompanied by major content additions, and the world of PlanetSide 2 will continue to evolve with every update.