Prepare to step into the shoes of the legendary detective Sherlock Holmes as you embark on a thrilling live-action VR deductive adventure. Immerse yourself in the captivating world of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Hung Parliament, a unique experience that seamlessly blends immersive theatre and cutting-edge VR technology. Developed by immersive theatre pioneers Les Enfants Terribles and VR trailblazers vrisch, this live-motion VR detective adventure is set to launch for Meta Quest on June 15th, 2023, via the App Lab store.
Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Hung Parliament introduces players to an original single or multiplayer deductive adventure, making it the first VR game to feature interactive live-action FMV (full-motion video) with professional theatre actors. As you delve into the game, you will have the opportunity to interrogate characters, explore various locations, and scour for clues to unravel the mystery at hand. Whether you choose to play alone or join forces with up to three other players, you will venture across London, visiting crime scenes and assembling the pieces of the puzzle in the ‘Mind Fortress’ to construct a case against the prime suspect. Prepare to engage in a captivating Holmesian whodunit, penned by Anthony Spargo, a prolific theatre writer, and Oliver Lansley, Artistic Director of Les Enfants Terribles.
The concept behind Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Hung Parliament initially debuted as an immersive live production called “The Game’s Afoot” at Madame Tussauds in 2016. Recognizing the potential to reach a wider audience, the game was adapted for online enjoyment on Zoom in 2021, catering to homebound theatre lovers. The VR adaptation presented vrisch and Les Enfants Terribles with the challenge of pushing the boundaries of technology, writing, and acting to create an unparalleled VR experience. This innovative game serves as a template for future stories within this exciting new format and novel theatre genre.
Gabriella Chihan Stanley, VR Creative Director of vrisch, expressed her excitement about the intersection of theatre and VR gaming, offering both theatre lovers and gamers a unique story-based, interactive theatrical gaming experience that appeals to younger audiences. James Seager, Creative Director of Les Enfants Terribles, echoed this sentiment, emphasizing the importance of creating a more accessible and immersive experience that can be enjoyed worldwide.
Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Hung Parliament will put your deductive skills to the test as you strive to solve the intricate and baffling case in time. Will you call on your friends for assistance? And where is Sherlock himself in all of this? The answers are far from elementary.
Key Features of Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Hung Parliament:
- Immerse yourself in the world of Sherlock Holmes, examining crime scenes with his iconic magnifying glass and gathering information from Doctor Watson.
- Visit Holmes’ ‘Mind Fortress’ to construct your case using the clues gathered from locations scattered throughout London.
- Engage in multiplayer gameplay and collaborate with up to three friends to pool your deductive skills and crack the case together.
- Meet and interrogate a collection of intriguing characters, each with their own motives and potential involvement in the diabolical deeds.
- Time is of the essence – find the killer before the clock strikes midnight and the Prime Minister becomes the next victim.
- Experience a unique blend of VR deduction gameplay, live performances, and an enthralling adventure alongside the world’s most famous fictional detective.
Sherlock Holmes: The Case of the Hung Parliament will be available on the App Lab store for Meta Quest and Meta Quest Pro devices starting June 15th, 2023.
Platforms: Meta Quest, Meta Quest Pro