Indie game developer Galaxy Pest Control launched the single-player turn-based tactical game The Feud: Wild West Tactics today on Steam and is celebrating by offering it at a ten percent discount for a limited time. The game loosely follows the infamous battle of two families, the Hatfields and the McCoys, that raged from the mid-to late 1800’s across the Appalachians and became the euphemism for any bitter dispute. The Feud: Wild West Tactics is downloadable today on Steam.
Players blast their way through three storylines, bolstered by a posse of unique characters, each with a ton of personality and grit. Leveling up and learning to use your “family” effectively is crucial, as only the hardiest gunslingers can expect to go the distance. Player avatars can be customized and join the ranks of “Devil Anse” Hatfield, Randall McCoy, Jim Vance, and “Bad” Frank Phillips through 32 missions.
Players can also try their hand at building their western empire in the Western Saga Mode. Using a traditional 4x strategy model, players will capture resources and territory, research upgrades, explore and investigate events, hold up wagon trains, hunt down fugitives, and – most importantly, drive off other enemy families for good. There is even a Skirmish Mode for quick shoot-outs.
- Turn-Based Tactics in the Old West – Focused on small team battles, players need to learn their characters’ abilities and specialties to survive. The Enemy talent system gives enemies a personal touch, with harder battles differing with each play-through.
- Upgradable Characters – Characters evolve as players progress through the storylines, choosing new abilities and developing existing ones; and equipping them with a variety of items.
- Rich Story Mode with Multiple Storylines – 3 storylines and 32 missions with unique maps move players through a range of challenges. An advanced difficulty mode provides the ultimate challenge for seasoned gunslingers.
- Western Saga Mode – A massive metagame that challenges players to build the ultimate western empire by taking over 3 enemy factions from either side. Players explore, research, recruit. and conquer. Multiple difficulty settings including hardcore provide a repeat challenge.
- Skirmish Mode – Players band together a posse of hired guns, heroes, or combination of the two for a quick, endless series of challenges on a variety of maps to earn in-game achievements and become the hardiest gunslinger.
- 11 Hero Characters
- RPG-Style Item System
- Classic Western Weapons
- Special Weapon Abilities
- Deep Research Trees
- Dozens of Dynamic Events
- Randomized World Map
- Diverse Locations
- Unique Perk & Quirk System
- Classic Western Standoffs
- Sweeping Original Soundtrack
- Cinematic Action Cameras
The Feud: Wild West Tactics has been a passion project for the small development team. It was first inspired back in 2013 while GPC Games was doing work-for hire for A&E, the network behind the popular 2012 Hatfields & McCoys mini-series. The team had been playing a turn-based chess-like game in their free time and was motivated to apply those tactics to the famous rivalry universe. The game was first shown publicly at The MIX during E3 2015. Then, after several starts and stops with backing partners and publishers, GPC Games decided to keep working on the game – funded by work-for-hire projects and dedicating resources as needed and self-publish.
“We loved the idea of applying the deep strategy of a turn-based game to this historic setting and rich story,” said Matt Saia, Galaxy Pest Control’s creative director and The Feud’s lead designer. “We wanted to give the game lots of depth and replayability, so we kept adding features that we wanted to play as the game evolved. It’s exciting to finally get the game into players’ hands and we hope they enjoy it as much as we do.”
The Feud: Wild West Tactics is available today on Steam for a suggested retail price of $29.99 USD and will be discounted ten percent for the first week of launch.