Indie game developer GPC Games today announced a release date for The Feud: Wild West Tactics. Inspired by the infamous nearly 30-year dispute between the Hatfields and McCoys, it is a turn-based single-player game that is all about shotgun blasting, knife wielding, dynamite throwing, territory grabbing action in the Wild West.
Slated for release on July 22, The Feud Wild West Tactics is part of the Steam Festival: Summer Edition that runs June 16 through June 21. In conjunction with the event, GPC has released a downloadable demo, scheduled several streaming sessions, and will be debuting new trailers throughout the week.
Players can blast their way through special storylines from each family, bolstered by a posse of unique characters, each with a ton of personality and grit. Leveling up and learning to use your “family” effectively is crucial, as only the hardiest gunslingers can expect to go the distance. Players can also try their hand at building their western empire in the Western Saga Mode. Using a traditional 4x strategy model, players will capture resources and territory, research upgrades, explore and investigate events, hold up wagon trains, hunt down fugitives, and – most importantly, drive off other enemy families for good.
“Feud has been a passion project in terms of our deep affection for both the old west and turn based games that are highly tactical. But also, in terms of the enormous challenge of building a game of Feud’s scope and size to completion with a very small team while maintaining our original vision.” said Matt Saia, creative director and game designer at GPC games.
- Turn-Based Tactics in the Old West – Focused on small team battles, players need to learn their characters’ abilities and specialties to survive. The Enemy talent system gives enemies a personal touch, with harder battles differing with each play-through.
- Upgradable Characters – Characters evolve as players progress through the storylines, choosing new abilities and developing existing ones; and equipping them with a variety of items.
- Rich Story Mode with Multiple Storylines – 3 storylines and 32 missions with unique maps move players through a range of challenges. An advanced difficulty mode provides the ultimate challenge for seasoned gunslingers.
- Western Saga Mode – This massive metagame challenges players to build the ultimate western empire by taking over 3 enemy factions from either side. Players explore, research, recruit. and conquer. Multiple difficulty settings including hardcore provide a repeat challenge.
- Skirmish Mode – Players band together a posse of hired guns, heroes, or combination of the two for a quick, endless series of challenges on a variety of maps to earn in-game achievements and become the hardiest gunslinger.
- 11 Hero Characters
- RPG-Style Item System
- Classic Western Weapons
- Special Weapon Abilities
- Deep Research Trees
- Dozens of Dynamic Events
- Randomized World Map
- Diverse Locations
- Unique Perk & Quirk System
- Classic Western Standoffs
- Sweeping Original Soundtrack
- Cinematic Action Cameras
“Instead of focusing on the deserts and plains, we centered on where it all started – in the Appalachian Mountains with an incredible cast of historic figures,” continued Saia. “We really wanted to create a game with layers of strategy and near-endless hours of gameplay, and, in the end, I think we did.
The Feud: Wild West Tactics will be available for a suggested retail price of $29.99 USD on Steam on July 22, 2020.