The newest narrative-driven expansion for This War of Mine, Fading Embers, is out now on Steam. Available for $3.99 USD, the third installment in the This War of Mine: Stories series portrays the story of Anja. Living in a war zone and carrying a heavy burden, Anja wrestles with herself to answer the question of what is more important – survival of human legacy or the survival of a man.
Fading Embers contains a ton of new content including new locations in the city of Pogoren and its vicinity, new shelters people can live in, enhanced locations from the original game, and new playable survivors and citizens. Most importantly, the structure of Fading Embers brings new ways to experience the narrative with a non-linear structure leading to multiple endings based on the player’s decisions. Since the main theme orbits around human legacy, new gameplay mechanics introduce collecting art, deciding on its fate and more.
Lead Artist of Fading Embers, Tomasz Kisilewicz, “The new This War of Mine: Stories episode touches on the subject of cultural heritage and what it means during the war. Is it worth preserving even at the darkest times? Or maybe when we’re pushed to our limits, when death and starvation are omnipresent – we change our perception of art and culture? And despite the artistic value – paintings, sculptures, and rare books – become mere tools of survival. Just because by destroying them we can postpone our own demise. Is this cost justifiable? Players will have to face those dilemmas for themselves.“
This War of Mine: Stories – Fading Embers key features:
1. Theme and story
- Tackle the challenge of preserving human heritage in a time of war
- Discover the story of Vyseni people and their culture
- Face dilemmas never before explored in This War Of Mine
2. New mechanics
- New narrative devices
- New hub area to keep track of your progress
- Collection Management mechanics including; Securing the art collection, Ability to gather new pieces of art, Deciding on the fate of art pieces
- Brand new locations and sceneries
- Two new shelters
- Overhauled 9 locations from the original game
- 3 new playable survivors: Anja, Ruben, Zoran
- Unique characters to meet and interact
DLC also features new music tracks and additional, smaller mechanics and lore bits.
Fading Embers is out now on Steam, GOG, Humble Store and Mac Appstore for $3.99.