Get ready for a new top-down shooter inspired by Tyrian! DreadStar: The Quest for Revenge is set to launch on Steam on October 20th for $9.99. Bringing a pumping chiptune soundtrack and pixel-perfect gunplay, DreadStar blends RPG elements into the genre, including level-ups, skill points and ship upgrades, without putting players through bullet hell.
With a playable demo set to arrive during the Steam Autumn Festival, players will get to see its gorgeous pixel art and listen to its awesome chiptune soundtrack first hand. They’ll also get to warp to Redbeard’s Burrow where they can spend their hard-earned cash on ship improvements for that perfect loadout. For a truly authentic retro experience, DreadStar is presented in 4:3 with an old-school CRT mode.
The full game will release with 6 replayable sectors, multiple difficulty settings, leveling, skill points, ship upgrades, numerous customization options and weapons ranging from the Gauss Cannons to Hadron Exploders. If things get a little too hot to handle, you can warp out, gear up and get back in there to seek revenge.
- Fast shoot ’em up gameplay with epic boss encounters.
- 4 different ships and 10 different weapons to annihilate your opponents.
- Tons of customization options from armors and engines, to shields and special items.
- Gain experience, level-ups and skill points to incrementally improve your ship’s strength.
- 6 replayable sectors filled with unique enemies, bosses and minibosses.
- 3 difficulty settings for every sector, where you’ll need to improve both your skill and your ship to progress.
- Gorgeous pixel art cutscenes and a kick-ass chiptunes soundtrack made on the famed Atari-ST and ZX Spectrum.
- A 4:3 display and CRT mode for that authentic retro experience.