Apex Legends has released its latest update and it has come in the form of a limited time game mode, limited time cosmetics, a new addition to the in-game map, and a bunch of quality of life updates and changes. Players have been excitedly dropping into the new game mode and exploring the latest area added to the map, discovering all the recent additions Apex Legends has to offer. With these revisions to the game, players are happy with the rate that Respawn Entertainment has released new content as there’s only been a week since the end of the previous live event. This article will cover all the details you need to know about the Voidwalker event in Apex Legends.
New Game Mode
First and foremost, Respawn Entertainment has added the “Armed and Dangerous” game mode. This is a unique version of the game where there are only shotguns and sniper rifles as well as limited shielding. Within Armed and Dangerous, you can find gold (as in fully decked out) versions of guns that you cannot find in the regular version of Apex Legends. Armed and Dangerous is a seriously fun experience that brings in a welcomed, new feel to Apex Legends with gameplay being significantly changed by the adjusted settings. Hop into Armed and Dangerous while you can as it’s only here for a limited time!
Just like we saw in the Iron Crown (the previous live event), the Voidwalker event will showcase a brand new “Town Takeover” theme focused on the in-game Legend Wraith. Kings Canyon (the in-game map) now has a large new area in the form of a massive, excavated, underground test facility. This area has been connected to the Apex Legends’ lore in a huge way and was featured in the “Stories From The Outlands” mini-movie that was released by Respawn Entertainment on September 2nd. This short feature shows how Wraith obtained her interdimensional abilities through experiments performed on her by the military group IMC. This testing facility is the newest area added to the map and is infused with a permanent portal similar to Wraith’s. This portal is visible in the sky and can be entered after skydiving from the drop ship in order to reach the ground faster, or it can be entered from the ground inside the facility and used to redeploy into the sky. Players of Apex Legends are quite happy with this map addition, considering the fact that there was already a major map addition less than one month ago. Going forward, players hope that Respawn Entertainment will plan to keep updating Apex Legends at this pace.
Just like every update in Apex Legends, the Voidwalker event brings with it a slew of cosmetics — from Legend Skins to Banner Cards. With the Voidwalker event being themed around the Legend Wraith, we see the release of a brand new, Epic rarity Legend skin for Wraith. This is one of if not the best skin for Wraith as it gives her a super futuristic look that is identical to the look of Wraith in the “Stories From The Outlands” short movie. In addition to this character skin, there are also some excellent new weapon skins — such as a new Longbow sniper skin that looks very Egyptian inspired. The Voidwalker event has also come with specific event themed challenges that will award player badges, weapon cosmetics, and crafting metal materials allowing players to earn new things without having to spend any money. After the reception of the previous live event and the insane paywall between the new content and Apex Legends players, it is nice to see this event embrace a more accessible approach.
Patch Notes and Changes
Along with the release of the Voidwalker event, there are also a fair bit of updates and bug fixes made to the game. Check-out the outline below.
- Fixed a bug where a player’s reward would not display properly after completing a challenge that awards crafting metals.
- Fixed a bug where players would see a different rare skin equipped to the Legend they are spectating when hanging from a ledge.
- Fixed some issues related to script errors.
- (Xbox) Fixed an issue where players would have issues connecting to a match at the same time as their party, forcing them to join Legend selection late with Legends already locked.
- (PS4) Code Fixed to address crashes related to “out of memory” issues.
- Fixed a bug where players would sometimes be in an out of bound state when they are not actually out of bounds.
Quality Of Life Changes
- New Promo Window — A new feature added to the lobby that will display offers and information, and allows for direct navigation to the website or store.
- Added auto spring feature to all platforms that can be turned on or off. This is disabled by default and can be changed in the settings menu.
- Players can now adjust Aim Down Sight look sensitivity per optic zoom level.
- Visual improvements to Legends in the lobby and character select screen.
- Increased overall brightness.
- Softer/lighter shadows.
- Improved reflection on hard surfaces.
- Improved detail and contrast to textures.
- Added UI to the spectator view that lets players easily tell if they are spectating a squadmate or enemy.
- Added setting to disable weapon auto-switching when running out of ammo.
- Increased projectile width for the Triple Take.
- SMG weapons are no longer compatible with the 3x HCOG and 2x-4x variable ACOG scope.
Note From Design: “Our goal with this change is to better define weapon archetypes and improve the looting experience so that players aren’t accidentally picking up a long range site for a close range weapon that they have to manually remove.”
- Wattson will now have low profile attributes (takes 5% more damage to base health).
- Reduce the maximum number of Interceptor Pylons that can be active to one.
- Fixed an issue that allowed players to cancel the start-up animation for their ultimate when activated while using a zipline.
Respawn Entertainment has produced great additions to the game with the release of the Voidwalker event, and players are pleased with the new content made available with this update. Be sure to try the Armed and Dangerous game mode while it’s available to see what you think about this new way to play Apex Legends. For the full patch notes of the Voidwalker event, feel free to visit Respawn Entertainment’s official subreddit. As always, you can rely on GamingLyfe for up-to-date information on various aspects of the gaming industry!