Exospecies – a 1v1 strategy game created by Microsoft veteran/Xbox One Operating System co-lead Eric Zinda – will be making its way to the App Store next Wednesday, July 31.
Combining the ageless gameplay of chess, strategic moves from Magic: The Gathering, and isometric combat from mid-’90s strategy DOS games such as SimCity, Exospecies allows players to form their very own alien militias to fight in surreal, exotic habitats all over the universe. In pitched 1v1 battles, strategy fans will be tasked with defeating two distinct AIs (“Maria” and “Ni jel-un”) or facing off against human opponents online as both sides take turns at the same time – a feature not often seen in turn-based strategy games.
EXOSPECIES IN A NUTSHELL
- Slug Trail: Conductive goo that can be laid out on a map and electrified later to damage opponents.
- Repel: Creates a field that bends spacetime to push enemy units away.
- Hell Jelly: Poisonous intergalactic sludge that contaminates opponents that touch it.
- Honey Kiss: Distance projectile attack from the Waspid race.
- Loyalize: Cause allies to fight harder when they are nearby units with this ability.
- Tunnel: Dig a tunnel underground to surprise enemy units.
- Disrupt: Create a disabling electromagnetic field to defend against enemy units.
- Beginner (“J’li li”): Introduction to the game with 11 levels. Teaches players how to best make use of ALL the different units/species in the game.
- Advanced (“Malinoino”): Much more difficult with 13 levels. Fun but challenging AI; highly replayable.
Furthermore, an optional Map Editor makes it easy for players to customize the playfield to their heart’s content – whether taking on friends, online opponents, or the AI. Random terrain creates big maps FAST and custom terrain allows for handcrafted, personal creations.
Earth has slowly-but-surely been taken over by invading alien tribes. The invasion eventually results in generalized casualties, starvation – and even the loss of the planet itself. With little resources left to fight with, humans have now begrudgingly joined forces with a number of friendly “exospecies” to ward off future invasions and reclaim the planet for humankind and its new allies.
- Simultaneous turn-based strategy: Both players take turns at the same time for fast turn-based play.
- Two single-player campaigns: Players take command of their militia in a series of battles against two AIs – the beginner-friendly “Ni jel-un” or the fiendish “Maria.”
- Multiplayer 24/7: Matchmaking allows players to find worthy opponents online or play against friends.
- Tons of species: Players can create strategic opportunities with special actions such as Space-Time Bend, Slug Trail, Hell Jelly – and many more!
- Combined arms: Actions can be combined to dramatically increase their effectiveness.
- Custom maps: Players can battle against AI, friends, and random human opponents in custom habitats using the Map Editor.
- Multiple games at the same time: Multiple human or AI opponents can be battled simultaneously!
Exospecies will be available on iOS for FREE next Wednesday, July 31. In-game currency (Bosons) can be used to purchase additional content, such as the Advanced “Malinoino” campaign, and units (Electroids, Waspids – and “Pods,” which randomly unlock units based on probability).