Today, independent developer VestGames wants to teach you how to hide in plain sight and outwit your friends in their upcoming social deduction game Eville! With today’s new video “How to Eville”, they’ll show you just how to do that. Recently showcased during the Steam Winter Festival, the game pits up to 12 players against each other in a medieval whodunnit where there are killers on the loose, and no one is free of suspicion! Play as either an innocent Citizen just trying to make it through the night or a wicked Conspirator in hiding — poised to murder fellow townsfolk.
In their latest video, VestGames spotlights how items, the day/night cycle, and character roles up the genre’s strategic ante. For example, the Detective role for Citizens has the ability to sneak about in the dead of night while innocent villagers are asleep — perfect for spotting unsavory folk skulking around. By the time daylight rolls around, a detective might know exactly who to point the finger at during town meetings. From crafting potions that might save a Citizen’s life to boots that protect Conspirators from booby traps — there’s a lot to learn in Eville.
Ready for a crash course in being Eville? Check out the delectably devilish video below:
Set in a cute and cozy medieval village, Eville features multiple character classes with unique abilities, vendors, items, and upgrades. Through a delightfully comprehensive but intuitive system of murder, deception, betrayal, teamwork, and eventually, crowd-sourced public executions for the villains (or wrongly-accused and innocent villager scapegoat), Eville takes a familiar genre to new heights.
Key Feature of Eville:
- More Strategy than a Queen’s Gambit: The combination of character roles, items and upgrades, unique skills, and a multi-layered map adds a depth of strategy and replayability that other games in the genre don’t come close to.
- Magical and Maybe Murderous Medieval Aesthetic: Murder and mayhem might be afoot in Eville, but that doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a sunny stroll around town collecting herbs and chatting up vendors. You can even customize your avatar with different skins, outfits, and cosmetic items.
- The Wolves Come Out at Night: The day and night cycle isn’t just a gimmick, but a fundamental gameplay mechanic. During the day, villagers mill around town, going about their business before tucking in for a nice restful evening in their snuggly bed…Unless you’re the murderer, of course, where nighttime is the right time — to hack people to death while they sleep.
- Receive a Role, Play to Your Strengths: Eville casts players into different roles with every session, each with unique abilities and advantages. Enjoy flexing your voting power as the Mayor, or setting traps for the dastardly murderer as the Trapper, investigating suspicious villagers as the Detective, or cast doubts and aspersions by talking smack about the other players as the Slanderer.
- Let’s go to the (Medieval) Mall: When the sun is out, players can spend their hard-earned copper on items and upgrades to help them survive the night — or, conversely, survive the traps laid out by those tricky good-guys trying to prevent a blue-collar axe murderer from doing their thing!
Eville will be available for PC via Steam in Early Access in 2021.